Bulstrode Street runs east to west across the central section of Marylebone, connecting Welbeck Street at its eastern end to Thayer Street at its western end, with Marylebone Lane as the only crossing point. Its W1G postcode locates it squarely within the Howard de Walden Estate, and it serves as a useful cross-street in a neighbourhood whose north-south arteries tend to dominate the mental map.
The street takes its name from Bulstrode Park in Buckinghamshire, the country seat of the Dukes of Portland until 1810. The Portland family acquired land in this part of Marylebone through marriage into the Harley family, and the Harley connection runs through the surrounding street names as a consistent thread. The eastern section of Bulstrode Street was laid out around 1763 under an agreement with builder William Franks; the western portion, originally known as William Street, was developed in the late 1780s on the adjacent Hinde Estate and was not fully incorporated and renumbered as Bulstrode Street until 1928.
A row of three Grade II listed townhouses at numbers 3 to 7, built around 1780 to 1800, represents some of the oldest surviving fabric on the street. The Golden Eagle, a late Victorian public house at the Marylebone Lane corner, is a further point of continuity. The Marylebone Hotel occupies the north side in modern construction. The street connects naturally to the broader medical corridor that makes Welbeck Street one of Marylebone's more professionally oriented addresses.
The Our Gazette
Delivered weekly to your inbox
Join 12,000+ Our insiders